EGroupware 17.1 was releases on 15 Nov 2017. Since then, maintenance updates have included many corrections as well as new functions, settings and presets.
For each update the changes are described in Announcements. This article summarizes the descriptions once again.
Roadmap for the next major-release:
This is a non-binding roadmap for the next major version.
Admin (EPL Only): Documentation of changes in the admin area including “Reason and on behalf of …”.
Rocket.Chat messenger application including chat, video conference, etc.
Address Book (EPL Only): Introduction of policies per address book to support GDPR regulations including option to print as pdf for work instructions and process directories. For example
Manual policy e.g. for the documentation of work instructions
Mail policy for verification of contact information with option to confirm further storage or deletion of data. - Hide policy: with this you can make birthday or other standard fields of the address book visible only for certain groups and hide the fields for all others.
Mandatory fields policy: this allows you to mark standard fields or user-defined fields in a certain address book as mandatory fields, while the fields in other address books can be optional. E.g. customer number
Write protection policy: this can be used to make individual fields readable for the majority, while write permission is reserved for certain groups.
Deletion policy: this allows you to define rules for deleting entries, e.g. depending on when something was last changed in the contact itself or a linked Infolog entry, the contact is due for deletion after x months.
File manager (EPL Only): Writing Collabora link, with which one can give external direct access to a single file, which is opened with Collabora in the instance.
all applications - Security: Change from CK Editor to TinyMCE, because the TinyMCE fully supports "Content Security Policy (CSP), with the CK Editor this was only possible to a limited extent in the HTML Editor until now.
With the TinyMCE we also updated the look. The editor now looks much more modern:
A lot of other small stuff: e.g.
changing the subject of an email:
Clickable and editable path in filemanager:
Use of svg graphics also in the web interface. This provides (also with HiDPI monitors) a better/sharper look.
Colored app icons like in the mobile view. Can also be switched back to monochrome
Optimized colors and a (carefully) more modern look (more angular, less round):
- Api: add search feature into file select dialog
A search field has been added to the file selection dialog:
- Admin: white-list IP addresses from blocking or set higher number of attempts
It is now possible to define a list of IPs that will be excluded for blocking after unsuccessful attempts. Optionally the number of connection attempts can be specified:
This makes it possible, for example, to handle blocking differently for the company-internal network than for external access.
- Calendar: fix alarms on recurring events got lost after 1st ocurrence
Under certain circumstances, recurring alarms would be lost after the first alarm.
The alarms have to be set again.
- Collabora: egroupware-collabora-key package to install local container for current Debian, Ubuntu, RHEL, SUSE
If the new egroupware-collabora-key package is installed on the same machine as an egroupware package installation, the following will be installed
- a (EGroupware own) container with Collabora Online
- and a container (watchtower) for automatic updates of the CO container.
and configured to work. The configuration of the EGroupware and the web server (as proxy) is done automatically. Thats it!
Thus Collabora Online is accessible under the same address as EGroupware.
Watchtower now checks at 4 a.m. whether a new CO container is available and installs it if necessary. The automatic update can also be deactivated.
Without a support key, Collabora Online runs with following restrictions:
a) number of simultaneous connections is limited as for Collabora Development Edition (CODE)
b) “Unsupported” watermark is displayed and printed
A support-key, available e.g. through the EGroupware developers, removes these restrictions for the specified number of users.
The installation package is available for Debian 9, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04, RHEL 7 (CentOS 7/Apache), SLES 15 and openSUSE (15.0/15.1).
The installation of Docker/CO-Container/watchtower requires about ~790MB additional disk space and additional ~500MB RAM.
The installation works in a standard package installation. Other constellations do not always have to work first time.
It is absolutely necessary to create a (full) backup before the installation or test it extensively on a test system.
- Collabora: egroupware-collabora-key package allowing to install supported Collabora container on-site
It is now possible to run our Collabora Online-Container with an EGroupware-Community-Version on premises.
More information on our website:
- Api: When printing lists ask for print orientation and size columns to fit
When printing the current view (list printing):
it is now possible to set the page orientation:
With Firefox, the page orientation must also be set in the printer driver!
A new release-key has been generated. Please check and re-import the release-key if necessary.
- Install: non-package installs use now install-cli.php and composer, instead of myrepos (mr)
There have been changes in the installation from Git. The procedure is described on GitHub.
- Mail: take user’s cutomfields type of email into account when searching for contacts in Compose -> TO field.
User-defined e-mail fields are now also included in the search during addressing.
- Api: show maintenance release as version-number everywhere
The CE- and EPL-versions now show the release status in the lower left corner:
Until now, either the EGw-version or the software version of the API was displayed. That has always caused confusion in the forum.
This release-version should always be posted in the forum. See also:
- Calendar/Mail: tell user if an event has been already already deleted when viewing a meeting request
The user is now notified if the creator deletes the appointment in the meantime:
- Filemanager: treat GoodSync gsdata directory as hidden / not shown by default
- Filemanager/EPL/GoodSync: ignore gsdata directory for versioning and subscriptions
GoodSync creates a _gsdate_ -folder where it stores status information for synchronization. This folder should not be deleted.
To avoid irritation, this folder is no longer displayed. The folder can be displayed again like other hidden files:
Versioning and subscription is possible in the EPL-version. This folder is now no longer taken into account for both functions.
- Mail: implement new preference to configure mail identity label shown as mail folder header
The display of the e-mail account
can now be adjusted flexibly:
As always, the setting can be forced by the administrator or defined as default for user settings.
This setting should be checked and adjusted. The default setting changes with this update!
- Addressbook: add site configuration to disable Last/Next Event column
It is now possible to switch off the display of Last/Next Event by a setting.
||Appointments are displayed when the column is displayed.
|Allow for Contacts only:
||Appointments are only displayed for contacts, NOT for users in the address book.
||No appointments are displayed.
Displaying appointments could take a long time depending on the number of appointments and contacts displayed. Now only appointments of contacts can be displayed, where there are usually considerably fewer appointments.
- Projectmanager: move format for ID generation from config to settings to allow eg. group-specific IDs
The setting for generating project IDs has been moved to the preferences:
This makes it possible to set default project-IDs for user groups as well (or just as before for everyone). So you can use different ID schemas in the EGroupware project manager.
This setting should be checked and adjusted.
- Addressbook: allow specifying the charset when importing vCard
It is now possible to specify the character-set for importing vCard/Address files.
If characters are imported incorrectly, the character set may have to be determined and selected manually.
EGroupware always exports vCard as vCard version 3.0 and uses UTF-8 as recommended.
- Addressbook: add option to import that deletes contacts from addressbook that are not in the import list
It is now possible to delete contacts that are not in the import list during import.
- Calendar: allow specifying the charset when importing iCal
It is now possible to select the character set in the calendar when importing calendar files (iCal).
- Calendar: add checkbox to turn on or off emptying calendar before iCal import
It is now possible to empty the target calendar in the calendar before importing iCal appointments.
• Calendar: iCal import: add option to specify owner of imported events
Admin/Applications/Import | Export/Define Imports|Exports (or
Calendar/Import | Export/…), it is now possible to define an owner for the appointments to be imported:
• Infolog: add a preference to check ‘Do not notify’ by default for selected types
A setting has now been added to the settings to preset the “Do not notify” checkbox when creating InfoLogs. The setting can be made for each InfoLog type (and of course can be force by the admin or define as default):
• Tracker: add config to re-open closed tickets if someone comments
Admin/Tracking System/Site configuration/Tracker queue: all/Configuration a configuration „Re-open closed tickets when a comment is added“ is added.
This controls that when a ticket is commented on, the ticket is automatically reset to open (or not, as before). This is enabled by default!
- Mail: set default refresh rate to 5 minutes for new installations
For new installations, the update for e-mail is activated and set to an activation interval of 5 minutes:
- Resources: add (usable / quantity) for bookable resources in calendar participants results
The search results for resources now display the quantity and number of resources that can be booked. Prerequisite for the display is a bookable quantity greater than 1.
- Addressbook: Allow multiselection for customfield added to link title
In preferences now customfields can be selected to display them in links:
The field(s) are displayed in serarch-results:
and also in the added links:
- Filemanager: make files and their paths clickable
It is now possible to open a file directly with a click on the file-name:
When performing a search, it is now also possible to switch to a folder by simply clicking on it.
- Addressbook: inform the user about number of contacts adding to mail compose dialog via Email action
- Mail: implement new preference for toggle actions. For instance, switching Cc, BCc or S/MIME Sign always on when trying to compose an email.
It is now possible to define the fields displayed in the mail compose dialog, such as Cc:
If you have any questions or suggestions about this post, please post them in the forum.